Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Puerto Rico - Day 7

Max with his new haircut

Ahh well this morning started with a trip to the dog groomer at 8:30am.  Initially, Mama told me her crazy neighbor would take her.  Apparently a few things happened this morning and her crazy neighbor was nowhere to be found.  When Mama asked another neighbor if they’d seen her they said the crazy lady left with another older woman.  Mama then decided to come into my room and see if I would take her.  I was already awake when she walked in so I told her to give me 20 minutes and we would be well on our way.  So, we had Max at the groomer by 9am, then sitting in Ricomini Coffee shop having a cup of coffee and a breakfast sandwich by 9:30 am and shopping in Mr. Special (grocery store) by 10am.  No lie, I was beat by 11am.  It seems the crazy neighbor is now upset with Mama as she has not stopped by once.  Mama has made note of it several times today saying she’s pissed because she was looking forward to her $20 payment to drive Mama 3 miles max.  We’ll see how long she takes to come around again.

Our trip to Mr. Special was very cool, we picked up some fresh vegetables, fresh garlic, brown rice, black beans and almond milk (yes, I was in charge of the grocery list today).  I have big plans to incorporate several servings of fresh veggies and fruit into Mama’s diet daily and she is very aware of this.  By 3:30pm we were in the kitchen together getting ready for dinner.  We both had leftovers in the fridge that we just needed to reheat, but she wanted to fry some chicken for me and I wanted to make some sautéed veggies and a fresh salad for her.  We completed the meal with a healthy serving of avocado…man o man did these plates looked gorgeous!  In fact, I probably should have taken a picture!  Good news is Mama ate every veggie on her plate.  Bad news is I think I overdid it.  By the time she got to the last few bites she just looked at me and said, “This is a lot of lettuce.”  I promised her I’d ease up from now on after the second time she brought it up (after dinner…wait is it still considered dinner at 4:30pm?!).  She just chuckled, shook her head and walked away.

After “dinner”, we sat down to watch the news.  I must admit, I fell asleep for about 10 minutes (that meal knocked me out) but when I opened my eyes there was a riot live on television (see video)!





Apparently there is a huge issue on the island with public education funding.  The students from the University of Puerto Rico are in extreme opposition of a $800 fee the school/government is trying to impose in order to recover (like the rest of the world) from a recession.  I needed more information in English after viewing the images of young people going up against police officers in riot gear.  These young people are taking a stand.  I’m behind them because of their call to organize and action.  They aren’t going to take being silenced or bullied into paying a fee without being heard.  I am torn, though, because a mediator is needed and much of the island is looking at these students as trouble makers and cheap skates.  See, they’re causing a disruption and according to my grandmother, “…are going to cause the university to close and then no one will have access to education.”  My good friend Monica served as my internet search engine this afternoon (since mine is such a pain sometimes) and came up with this article giving a clearer explanation as to what is going down over here.  There is more to come regarding this matter…guaranteed!  Here is the link (thanks again Monica): http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/2010/stanchich161210.html

No comments:

Post a Comment