Sunday, December 26, 2010

Puerto Rico - Day 10

Mr. Miyagi (Tio Edwin) & Titi

¡Cumpleaños Feliz Titi Annie!  Today was Titi Annie’s Birthday (Dec. 23rd but I’m late with the postings LOL)!  I knew I wanted to do something nice for her because not only was it the first time I’d actually be in Puerto Rico for her special day, but also because she like many other late December babies, gets caught in the hustle and bustle of the holidays and is often forgotten about.  So, I decided to do something relaxing for her, something most women really enjoy (except for Mama Maria of course).  I decided to treat her to a one-hour massage…on the beach.  The on the beach part quickly changed to an awesome serene indoor location because the winds were causing high tide which meant a lot of wind, water and noise from the ocean.  It also meant a lot of random surfer dudes wandering…so luckily I switched it before we even got there.
Relaxed 

The morning started bright and early.  I left a card on my door for her so that as soon as she came to wake me she would find it.  I wasn’t sure how sentimental she might become after reading the card so I figured I’d give her the option to read it alone…just before waking me.  I think it was a great decision as she nudged me ever so gently in the morning and immediately said “Thank you for the card, it was really beautiful.“  That was the beginning of an awesome day! 

After a quick coffee, we hit the road and headed out to Rincon, which is a beach town 45 minutes away from where Titi lives.  Unfortunately we ran into some traffic so we were about 15 minutes late.  Then, we got a bit lost and my TIti was quickly losing her patience with the masseuse.  I quickly reminded her that today was her birthday so she wasn’t allowed to get up in arms about anything.  “Chill out Titi and smile!” is what I said before we exited the car.  She dutifully practiced her smile in the rearview mirror and we were off to meet the woman.  I dropped my Titi off into her capable arms as a mother does her child to kindergarten and I headed off to the beach for some much-needed alone time. 

Peace 
The beach was gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous.  It was high tide so the waves were crashing continuously and with fervor.   The temperature was just right…low 80’s (if that) and the few families around me were pretty tranquil.  Its times like these that I truly enjoy sitting alone.  Taking in that scenery took me back to Table Mountain (in South Africa), and once again I praised and thanked God for all that he has created.  I looked around and realized that even with man’s destruction and disrespect of the land, His beauty and His power shines through.  I looked up and saw a bird flying and found myself in awe of the fact that this animal, this living thing has been given the capacity to literally suspend itself in mid air.  I was captivated, yes by a bird.   I’ve taken this animal for granted so many times, but in this moment I saw so much.  I saw grace, freedom and strength.  That hour alone on the beach served as a cleansing of my spirit.  So while Titi was massaged, in a way, so was I. 
Cheers!

By the time I returned, Titi was finishing up.  She walked out with a grin from ear to ear looking like the weight of the world had just been lifted from her shoulders.  Of course we couldn’t leave Rincon without stopping to have something to eat!  So, we headed to Tamboo Tavern, our favorite little ocean side bar/restaurant to cheers to her birthday over a delicious piña colada.

La Familia en El Bohio restaurante
The rest of the day consisted of more food, this time with Tio Edwin and his wife Carmen.  All in all Titi seemed to have a really great birthday and I was happy to be a part of it.  ¡Feliz Cumpleaños Titi Annie!



No comments:

Post a Comment