Friday, December 17, 2010

Puerto Rico - Day 4

Pan de Tetita (half eaten)

Last night I slept over Titi Annie’s house so that I could pick up the two boxes I mailed to her PO Box while I was still in New York.  The plan was to wake up early, take a jog on the beach, pick up un pan de tetita (a little titty bread…see photo and you’ll get it), come back and then head to the post office with Titi.  Well, I woke up later than I originally planned to so I figured I’d just jog to the panaderia (bakery) and walk back…that was until I walked about 5 feet from the house and spotted two different loose dogs. 

Here’s where I stand on this dog thing: A) good thing I got over this dog fear thing I had before I came to Puerto Rico because let me tell you, Puerto Ricans and dogs are like peanut butter and jelly.  It’s unreal.  B) when it comes to other people’s dogs, I am still a bit leery but not afraid like I use to be. C) when it comes to stray dogs or random dogs in the street with a collar but not much else, well I’m straight up afraid.

So, that being said, I walked my butt right back to Titi’s house, hopped in the car and knocked out all my errands (post office and everything).  I was back at her house eating pan de tetita with boiled eggs and more of that delicious tea by 10am!   But, of course, I still had not exercised.  I do NOT want to be mistaken for a snowman when I return to New York for Christmas, so going one more day eating the way I’ve been eating and NOT exercising was just unacceptable.  As if Titi were reading my mind, she informed me of a track close to her house…she also said there was an indoor gym there that she thought might be free.  I took her driving directions, prayed for traveling mercies and headed out.  I didn’t get insurance on my rental car and I’ve been worried about that decision ever since I drove off from the airport.  I think my credit card provides car insurance but I’m not sure so until I speak to them I’m on pins and needles.  If they don’t offer insurance coverage I’m going to have to call Thrifty and see if I can add it on for the next few days just so I can have some peace of mind.

Anywhoo, I made it safely to the track, just in time for the noon sun of course.  Luckily, the weather out here has been magnificent.  It averages in the 80’s and for the last few days I’ve been able to wear jeans and ¾ sleeve shirts without breaking a sweat.  The nights are gorgeous.  Mama and I just stepped out onto the porch a few minutes ago because there was a lot of activity happening on her street.  Apparently there was a church group who decided to pack themselves into the back of a few pick up trucks and proclaim that “Jesus is the reason for the season!” (in Spanish of course) all while playing guidos and singing religious songs with a salsa beat.  I tried to grab video of it…we’ll see if I can make it work on this blog-o-mine.  Anyway, our nosiness gave us an opportunity to appreciate the beautiful evening…its something that’s really hard to put into words.  A sky that’s something out of Pirates of the Caribbean…crisp, clear, almost fake.  A breeze that would make my mother smile any day of the week and a stillness…even through the blaring church songs…a stillness that just makes you feel like you’ve been embraced and blessed by the universe all at once.



Sams doesn't give bags, they give boxes!
There were more Mama/Misha adventures today.  We started around 2:45pm and headed for Borders.  I’ve been looking for some meaningful gifts for folks and so I knew Borders would be a place I could find a few things I was looking for.  Mama lead the way and man, she is sharp as a tact!  Spotting the store when I couldn’t and parking spots when I didn’t.  I used my Spanish skills at the register to negotiate a discount for a not so perfect book I wanted to purchase…only to find out that I didn’t need the discount because the $20 book actually rang up for 98 cents! 

Mama leaving Sam's Club and posing for me
After Borders we rolled out to Sam’s Club…another store that Mama just loves to browse.  Do you know how big Sam’s is?!  How many things there are to look at?!  I don’t know how that woman does it!  My feet and legs were aching so much that I went and hid in the paper towel section for awhile and even popped a squat on an 18 pack of Bounty.  Mama insists on paying for a lot of things so I started that conversation with her early.  I explained to her that I’m living with her now, the least I can do is pay for groceries.  Finally she begrudgingly allowed me to pay…but insisted on filling up my gas tank.

On our way back home, a royal blue car passed in front of us.  She looked at it for awhile and then told me that she just loves that color car.   She went on to explain that her honey, ‘Papa’ (my step-grandfather who served as the only grandfather I’d ever come to know) use to have a Ford that color.  Then the story got fuzzy because I think she said that he got into an accident in that car with a Mercedes and ended up in the hospital but I’m not too sure.  I really can’t wait until the language is no longer a barrier.   I mean, we’re growing closer daily and as each day passes, more and more information is being relayed…I just need to be quick enough to catch it.  There’s a song called Paciencia y Fe (Patience & Faith) from one of my favorite Broadway plays (In The Heights).  It’s all that is running through my head as I write this entry.  Paciencia y Fe Misha, Paciencia y Fe…

No comments:

Post a Comment