Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Puerto Rico - Day 1

Day 1 started at 12am in JFK airport.  Snow flurried around New York as my little brother placed my two 40+ lb. bags onto the Jet Blue bag drop.  After giving him some words of wisdom and saying a prayer that he takes my advice to heart, I headed for security.

Beaded curtains need love too
I am happy to report the security screening was relatively painless and served as an encouragement to continue to book late night flights.  Boarding the plane was interesting to say the least.  My guess is the snow in New York City must have made these 100+ Puerto Ricans very anxious to get back to palm trees and beaches, because an announcement was made to "board children, disabled and elderly ONLY" and just about every single person waiting for that plane got up and swarmed the boarding deck.  Along with a beaded curtain (you know like the ones that were hung in doorways to separate rooms in the 70s) and a slew of carriages, there were also 3 dogs and a cat boarding the plane with us.  No, I'm not lying.

All I was looking forward to was sitting on that plane, throwing my eye mask on (thank you South African Air for that one) and knocking out before I could even hear how to properly secure my seatbelt.  Unfortunately, sitting on the plane and throwing the eye mask on was about as far as I got in terms of comfort.  I had the window seat but just couldn't seem to find my sweet spot.  It was a packed flight so I had two grown men cuddled up right next to me.  Also, it could have just been my imagination, but it felt like the cabin lights were turned all the way up for a majority of the flight...that and the flight attendants somehow found it necessary to announce every type of beverage they had to offer on that plane (cranberry juice, orange juice, coke, sprite, orange juice, tea, coffee, ginger ale, etc., etc.) in English AND Spanish!  Maybe since my eyes were covered my sense of hearing was sharper...I dunno, but it was deafening.  We landed a half hour later than scheduled and then it was time to deal with my luggage.  See, I had been so busy packing that I forgot to count.  Once I decided to count, I realized that Michelle has two hands and two shoulders...yet, Michelle packed three suitcases, a duffel bag and a laptop bag.  Oh, did I mention one of those suitcases doesn't really roll properly?  Yeah, I'm convinced it is on some Consumer Reports list somewhere...listed as a total failure in suitcase effectiveness.  But, there was nothing to do but deal with the situation at hand.  I had quite a few folks praying for my traveling mercies and I knew that I would be able to overcome the challenge ahead of me...I just had to keep a positive attitude.  So, after a significant lack of sleep and a painful wait to get off the plane, I disembarked and it hit me---the Puerto Rican air.  I've been trying to find a way to describe this distinct smell.  It is a combination of sea and humidity and salt I guess.  I don't know, but as soon as it hit my nose my heart warmed and I felt like I was home.  Yep, home.  I know, its insane.

McGyver Mish
So, back to the luggage.  I got inventive ladies and gents.  Luckily, the small carry on suitcase I brought had a strap.  So, after a few minutes of fumbling around, I came up with a McGyver solution.  I strapped the small suitcase to the back of one of the larger ones and pushed it.  Meanwhile,  I secured my duffle bag on top of the other suitcase and pulled that one.  Oh yeah, and finally I strapped my laptop bag across my body.  Sure, there were a few raised eyebrows on my way to the car rental counter, but hey, my bags got from point A to point B so no complaints here!

Luckily, the rental car guy was gracious enough to keep an hold half of my bags at the counter while I grabbed the car and loaded the other half.  Once I got into the vehicle though, I realized there was no windshield liquid and that the tire pressure was low.  I'm a single woman driving 45 minutes to my next destination at 5am...yeah, I think I needed to switch my car.  So, that  whole ordeal ate up an additional hour that I didn't count on.  I didn't end up pulling up to my aunt's house till about 7:11am.  Have you ever been so tired, you can't fall asleep?  That was me.  Luckily Titi Annie was ready to whip up some tasty tea (with fresh lemon-limes from her backyard) and avena (super tasty Puerto Rican style oatmeal).  Finally, I rested from about 9:30am till around 2pm.

After a much needed shower, I reconvened with my aunt who had made fresh arroz con pollo mini pasteles (seasoned rice with shredded chicken wrapped in a banana leaf) from scratch.  Just a note:  I am planning on not only coming back fully fluent in my language but also fully fluent in the art of cooking the way my mother, aunt and grandmothers are.  It is a true gift.

Just before I sat down for lunch, I ran to the car to grab a pair of sandals (yep, sandals in December haaaaa) and inadvertently locked my car key in the trunk.  No, the car was not unlocked.  Yes, 24 hr roadside assistance was called.  Sure, I cursed when I realized what I had done but soon after, I chuckled.  I knew it would be fine...plus, it was time for lunch!  I bellied up to the table while I waited for help and Titi presented that plate of pasteles coupled with a fresh, gorgeous salad.  Another note: exercise schedule begins tomorrow.

My Tio Edwin's long lost brother
News about visiting family members spreads pretty quickly around here so while I was finishing up my lunch, my grand uncle Tio Edwin came by to see me.  This guy is so fascinating to me.  He literally looks like he could be Mr. Miyagi's (yes, from the Karate Kid) big, former football playing brother.  When I see him I see such a teddy bear and I cannot wait to get to know him better!  He has offered to help me car shop while I'm here so we have a date for tomorrow morning.  I have a pretty low budget of $2k but he is still willing to help me look.  Anything is possible and I know I can find a reliable, 4 door vehicle within my price range!  YES!  IT WILL HAPPEN!

Finally, it was time to go see my grandma and get settled in.  She greeted me at the door with a huge smile and a new haircut.  She looks so cute!  Max, her pet yorkie, was besides himself with excitement.  Maybe he knows he's got a new roommate :)

Now, here I am settled in my bed, minimally unpacked (too tired) and incredibly grateful.  I didn't know what to expect when I rolled those 3 suitcases and 2 bags into my grandma's house, but I was welcomed.  Grandma rearranged my room, bought a new nightstand with storage and even cleared out the closet for more clothes.  It feels good to be back.  Let's see what tomorrow brings...until then, buenas noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment