Friday, December 17, 2010

Puerto Rico - Day 3

Day 3 was supposed to start with grandma and I having a wonderful breakfast.  Instead, it started with grandma knocking on my door at 7:30am telling me she was headed to the doctor’s office.  I offered her a ride but she said her neighbor was taking her, and she just wanted to let me know where she was going.  So, I had the house to myself and I used that time to unpack, get fully settled and rearrange my bedroom.

Although she left at 7:30am, mama didn’t get home until after 12:30pm!  Apparently in Puerto Rico, even if you have an appointment with the doctor, you have to walk in and take a number (yeah, like you’re in a deli).  She was number 5 and therefore waited for quite a few hours to be seen.  The health coverage issue definitely extends to Puerto Rico.   Today my grandmother paid $84 for a tube of cream!  Her total prescription bill came out to be $112!  She explained to me how much she has to pay to see certain doctors and how some of her prescriptions aren’t covered at all…and that’s how you end up paying $84 for a tube of cream and hundreds of dollars for an MRI.  While she was explaining all of this, I began to feel helpless.  I mean, healthcare coverage is over my head period…never mind healthcare coverage in Puerto Rico, dealing with Spanish-speaking doctors and healthcare providers for my elderly grandmother.  But, I listened to her and made note of whatever I could.  Later, I met up with my aunt and explained to her the frustration I felt because of how much she was spending, what the doctors were telling her and how I would normally be right with her asking every question under the sun but I just feel paralyzed because of the language.  Thankfully, my aunt put things into perspective and offered to help me navigate the healthcare issue, as she had to navigate it in dealing with my other grandma’s coverage when she was alive.  Also, when it comes to my questions for mama’s doctors, she said to think in Spanish and write out my questions ahead of time in Spanish… "just take it one step at a time, you can’t expect to express yourself as quickly or aggressively as you can in English, at least not yet.”  Patience is the name of the game I guess.  I do feel better after talking to Titi and our conversation helped affirm that I can really make a difference here.

Other notes from today:

I walked around Walmart for a solid hour with mama as we waited for her prescription to be filled.  Initially, it was great because I was able to get several items I needed, but that lasted about 20 minutes.  The next 40 were filled with window shopping the entire store with mama who was all too happy to do it.  She gets pleasure out of the oddest things…just looking at everything on the shelves, picking them up, reading them and then putting them back.  I must admit, my Blackberry came in handy a few times, as I had to escape to the land of e-mails and IM’s if only for a little bit.

I found out my grandma’s birthday today…she had to recite it a few times to the pharmacist.  July 18, 1924.  Yes, 1924!

Mama chose the Ponderosa for lunch today.  I don’t think I’ve stepped foot inside a Ponderosa since I was a kid, but there I was...ordering from 1 of 12 menu options at the entrance and picking up my cafeteria style tray.  As I dished myself a nice helping of salad from the salad bar and listened to soft jazz play in the empty restaurant, something occurred to me…I pulled out my Blackberry and formulated a new Instant Message.  This one read : “I’m now in a Ponderosa after strolling around Walmart for an hour.  I may need visitors soon…if I don’t I’m afraid my personality will become that of a retired woman in her mid 80s.”

Mama's suggestion for lotion 
Today I asked mama for lotion and she didn’t have any.  So, while we were standing in line waiting to put her prescriptions in, she turns to her right and says “Aye Misha, mira, tu necesitas locion, aqui es jelly… “(Hey Misha, look, you need lotion, her is jelly…) as she squints, I look and interrupt her.  “Mama eso no es locion, es por sexo.  Todo que esta aqui es por sexo.” (Mama that is not lotion, that’s for sex.  Everything that’s there is for sex.)  She was about to suggest that I purchase KY Jelly as my new body lotion!  When she realized there was nothing but condoms and other sex items on those shelves she cracked up, turned her back, and never glanced over there again.   It was awesome.

Good night all, till tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I think that's my tia's birthday too!! (the 18th or 19th) HAHA she's so cute! KY lotion.. :-( i miss my 'mami' soooo much.. i wish she was still here... God Bless your mama!
    Yeah, the waiting time out there is crazy.. I remember when i was there last year, we had to take my fiance's grandfather to the hospital and we went in an abulance and into the emergency room and waited i believe 6 or 7 hours to be seen, mind you, he's 101 yrs old!

    ReplyDelete