Saturday, January 29, 2011

Lost in Translation

I woke up this morning with a stomach ache.  I'm a pretty gassy person though so its really not the weirdest thing.  Although since I've been here, I haven't really had any stomach issues.  I attribute that mostly to the fact that I haven't been eating after 5pm because of the January fast.  Anyway, the point of this blog isn't my stomach issue, so let me get to the point.  This morning after brushing my teeth I walked into the living room where my grandma was sitting in her recliner (as she does every morning) finishing her cup of coffee.    I plopped myself on the couch next to her and said "¡Bueno dia!" as I do every morning.  I then told her I had a stomach ache and she asked me if I was having man issues.  I laughed and said "What do you mean Mama?"  She answered with certainty, "Well, I can tell you that stomach issues usually means your thinking about a man."  Her face told me she has had a few stomach issues over the years.  Before I could answer though, she switched topics and told me how she woke up at 3am shaking.  She said the shake was so bad she just held onto herself tight until it stopped.  I asked her why she didn't call out for me and she said (as usual) she didn't want to bother me.  Folks, I sleep right next door to this woman.  Imagine waking up to find out your grandma was suffering in the room right next door to you and you had no idea.  Now imagine that the healthcare system is a mess (oh yeah, it is) and there's a language barrier.  According to her last pressure reading, Mama has a blood pressure of 177/76.  She is supposed to go see a cardiologist because she's having dizzy episodes and as soon as yesterday her eyes were so heavy throughout the day that if she sat down for awhile she felt like she could go to sleep.  Needless to say I want an appointment ASAP.   Mama told me that we probably won't get one for a few months.  I told her that's not happening.

Overall, I just feel like I'm running in quick sand.  I need this language barrier erased so that I can be the Mish I am in New York.  So that I can call and make things happen!  I need to figure out Mama's health plan.  I need to be able to talk to her doctors.  I need to get straight answers on how to handle her pressure, more than just "take this pill and then take that pill and see you in 3 months."  I'm going to try to call my old physician to see if he could offer some advice.  I can't let frustration consume me, so I'm writing.  I'm writing so that I don't lose my cool.  I write so I don't cry frustrated tears over these hurdles that at this point feel like mountains.  I'll write and then I'll continue to study...both medicine and spanish.  I know I belong here and I know I can help, I just need someone to listen to me.  I need to know why my grandmother is forced to go to one place for reading glasses because no other place takes her plan.  I need to know why she's basically bullied into paying almost $300 for those glasses.  I need to know why she gets her information regarding her health plan from the local newspaper and I need to know why she goes to a doctor that takes her pressure reading but then doesn't share it with her until she asks!  I need to know why Mama will head to the eye doctor at 7am and not return until after 1pm because you need to take a number like you're at a deli to be seen.  Appointments mean nothing.  I need to know why everyone just accepts this below average service because "that's just the way it is here".  I'm almost 30 years old and I feel like a lost kid right now...

2 comments:

  1. The state of healthcare is appauling, but I can't even imagine what your going through, you're abuela is old school like we don't even know, God bless her

    ReplyDelete