Friday, January 7, 2011

Dia de Los Reyes


My new desk (yes, and my pillow pet Mono)

Yesterday was Dia de Los Reyes (Three Kings Day).  I thought I would come to you today with stories of me dancing in the streets complete with videos and pictures of the festivities.  But, as I continue to attempt to settle back into what is now my home, I find myself very busy.  Before I left I purchased a computer desk for my room, it was now time to assemble that bad boy!  I knew I had quite a task ahead of me, but considering I put together Mama’s new TV stand alone, I figured I could handle a computer desk!  I’m happy to announce that I was right…while it may have taken over 3 hours to do, (as Mama so eloquently pointed out LMAO) it is complete and very sturdy!  So, after 3 hours of manual labor and no air conditioner I was ready to eat and relax.  I spoke to my aunt later in the evening and she assured me that staying home was probably best because the traffic in Boquerón (where the festivities were being held) was absolutely ridiculous.  That, coupled with the fact that I am currently driving a vehicle who’s speedometer is out of order and I am unable to drink or eat anything other than water after 5pm, all made a great case for me to stay put in Mama’s house.  It was nice as we caught up on our favorite novela Aurora and I introduced her to the wonders of microwavable blue wax (no she didn’t use any, but she certainly watched in wonder as I walked it into my bedroom)!

Now let’s address a few points mentioned above just so I can get any questions out of the way...

It always reads 10mph!
Pick up truck getting me from A to B
No armrest = ouch!
First, the vehicle with the broken speedometer…what’s up with that right?  Yeah.  So, here’s the deal.  I have yet to purchase a vehicle so my aunt offered to lend me a vehicle to use while I continued my search.  It is a green Mazda pick up truck that her boyfriend uses for manual work he does here and there.  They are fortunate enough to have this as an extra vehicle and so they offered it to me.  Don’t get me wrong, I am VERY grateful to even have a car to use out here but the facts are still the facts and the facts serve as funny commentary for this blog.  So, here are the facts:  it smells like cat, it has no working speedometer, Mama looks like she’s hiking a mountain every time she gets in and out of it, when I reverse it sounds like the car is going to cough up a lung, there are no arm rests (so my elbows have quite a few bruises since I keep forgetting this fact), and every time I have to park it, I feel like I’m parking a mini school bus (apparently so does Mama as she thanked God when she saw a parking spot the size of a mini mall in front of her hairdresser today…”you can fit, thank God”).  But again, I’m thankful.  The pickup truck has also strengthened Mama’s campaign for me to just go on and purchase a NEW car.  Everyday she has another clipping of the low, low payment I would need to make a month in order to have this car or that one.  Adding additional debt to my life is not really what I’m trying to do.  This is supposed to be a process of freedom grandma!  Everyday I am buying time, praying that a great vehicle for $5k or less will come our way and this line on my to do list can be crossed off.

Second, the whole no eating or drinking after 5pm deal.  Here we go…for the month of January, my New York church is fasting.  From 5pm until 5am the next morning we are not to eat or drink anything other than water.  Also, we are not supposed to be on the phone (unless its an emergency), nor watching TV nor using the computer….from 5am to 5pm we can do all of the above, but at 5pm it all shuts down.  This fast is in an effort to shut the world out and allow yourself time alone. ..truly alone with God.  It is NOT easy….let me count the ways…one  - I am a hungry hungry hippo…shutting me down at 5pm is tough…two – I am separated from most of my friends and family whom all live in New York and are currently an hour behind me!  So, the fast really shuts down communication between me and NY at 4pm their time!  Three- the computer thing.  I was on a roll with the blogs before I returned to NY because I was writing and uploading my daily events at night either while I watched Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune with Mama or once she went to bed (9pm).  Now, I need to work out a different schedule for my writing/uploading times and I hope you will stick with me through the learning curve here.  Four – no TV!  I must admit I am creating an exception to the no TV rule.  I must watch Aurora with Mama…the benefits are too great to just shut down and if that is the one exception, I’m thinking it will be fine.  Aurora serves as a communication tool for Mama and I, it’s our common ground.  Not only that, its helping me with the language…so I consider it a form of studying.


BLUE WAX!
Finally, the wonders of microwavable blue wax.  I heart the Bliss spas in New York City.  I heart them because they use this amazing blue wax that hurts way less than any regular wax I’ve ever used.  Now, Sephora sells this wax in a microwavable cup to use in the comfort of your home.  I use it for pretty much every waxing need I have (except my eyebrows as those are too difficult and important to navigate)!  I’m one hairy girl, so this wax is near and dear to my heart.  I wasn’t sure how my Mama would receive the wax, but luckily she’s a little beauty diva herself (she use to get her hair done every Saturday until her hairdresser moved her shop out of walking distance) so she is familiar with wax and its uses.  I know it’s just a matter of time before she lets me try the blue stuff on her LOL.  I cannot wait for that day!!!  Get ready for pictures, pictures, pictures!! 

Ok I’m off to begin working on documenting today’s events for my next posting…see you then ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment