Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Maria

Ok so once again, not being able to use the computer has hindered me from updating as often as I’d like.  So I’ll go back to Sunday and hopefully post about Monday and Tuesday later today…

Sunday was church day!  I went to my neighbor’s church, which happens to be right by the baseball park I jog around and the bakery where I purchase bread for Mama.  Initially I thought it would just be the neighbor and I heading out, but then a teenage girl appeared!   She hopped in the back just before we left.  She was very quiet, so you know my curiosity took over...and I started interviewing her LOL.  Her name is Maria (like my grandma) and she’s 14 years old.  She attends church with my neighbor every Sunday.  I explained to her that I while I don’t speak Spanish well, I am trying.  I also encouraged her to correct me whenever I made a mistake.  Her eyes brightened and before we even walked into church I knew I had made a friend.  The service itself was pretty good.  Definitely closer to what I’m use to…lots of music, live instruments and a pastor that was present through it all…he even got up and lead the band on a few songs.  Now, he’s no Pastor Bobby, but he’s ok.  After church, Maria and I got an opportunity to speak more and this time it was her turn to interview me.   She wanted to know where I use to live, what I did for work and what I was trying to do here.  I explained I came from New York/Philadelphia, have a TV/radio background and while I’d love to work in radio again out here, I know that initially I’d have to do something behind the scenes since my Spanish is not where it needs to be.  I told her I’m living with my grandma to get better and as soon as I find a car my next step is to find a part time job.  Finally, she exclaimed “Wow, que cool!”  (Wow, how cool!).  She goes to a private high school and wants to be a pediatrician.  She is the only girl and the youngest of four children.  Oh yeah and she speaks English but I am proud to say I have not spoken to her in English at all (other than a word here and there that I am asking her to translate for me).  Once we got to the neighborhood, we went our separate ways, but I was quick to invite her over, telling her “I live here now, so come and visit whenever you’d like.”  She giggled, said “Ok. “ and went home.   Five hours later she was sitting on my grandmother’s couch telling me all about her plans for college.  So, it seems I’ve already acquired a mentee here in Puerto Rico… ¡Wow, que cool!

Hmmm what else happened on Sunday?  OH!  Apparently my parents have been fielding phone calls from family members who are cracking up on the phone and saying “So has Misha sent you a picture of her eyebrows yet?  Are they as bad as she says?”  and “Misha’s blog is so good, have you been reading it?” Now, let’s be clear, I have not hid the fact that I had a blog from my parents at all.  In fact, back when this blog first started I sent the link to my father (and maybe even my mother) via e-mail.  But, like most parents, they’re busy and not use to being in front of the computer.  So they mostly forgot about it and just listened in whenever someone would refer to it.

Well, it seems enough is enough, they want in on the loop.  So Sunday, after a brief conversation with my father, he says “Hey little girl, how do I see this blog of yours?”  I have to admit, my stomach rose and fell all at the same time.  I was proud that they were eager to read it…I had been receiving a lot of compliments on not only my content but on my writing in general and I was excited to share my “good work” with them.  Then my stomach dropped.  My last post was about Norberto.  I hadn’t had a conversation with my father yet about Norberto or about what Mama told me.  What if he was offended?  What if he hated the fact that I am publicly posting all this information about our family on the Internet?  My dad loathes text messaging, my mom has sworn to never open a Facebook page…so a blog, talking about so much…well it could quickly turn into a disaster for me.   He handed my mom the phone once he had the correct web address and as soon as it was in her hand I told her the deal with the Norberto posting.  I explained that I was really hoping he wouldn’t be upset.  She laughed it off but it wasn’t a “oh nothings wrong, stop worrying laugh” it was a “I wonder what she wrote, but let me try to calm her down” laugh.  We spoke for about ten more minutes and then in the background I hear “What is this picture up here?”  My mom says “Yeah Misha what’s this ¡Cambio Su Estio con Mirta!”  So I explain that the pic is supposed to depict someone “changing their style”.  Then I think : Oh my goodness, he’s not even reading, he’s just surfing!  I told him to read from the first post in January so that he can get a sense of the journey!  My thoughts are interrupted when I hear “Nay look, it’s a picture of you.”  My mom’s attention focuses on my dad who is apparently sitting at the computer desk “What?  Where?”  Ahhhh!  I’ve now lost control of the situation…I am on the phone and they are just navigating my blog like nobody’s business.  Then my mom says “Ok, let me go look at this blog with your father.  I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”  That was Sunday.  Today is Wednesday.  My phone has yet to ring.  Are they upset?  Are they impressed?  Are they neither?  I’m afraid to find out.  Because if I do, and they are in fact, upset I will need to make a decision.  Do I continue the blog knowing I don’t have their blessing or do I shut it down and simply document my adventures privately?

2 comments:

  1. I am happy for you that you have made a friend out there!!
    As far as the blog and your parents: it could be that they are a bit shocked at how much you have put out there to the public and just may need a few days to accept it. I'm sure they will see that this is important to you and would try and be more supportive of what you're doing. Did you tell them before hand that whatever you found out over there, along with you documenting your journey, that you was going to put into the blog? It was something unexpected for them and they are most likely figuring out how they are going to handle it before they bring it to your attention.. maybe.. that's just what i think..
    Good luck, stay positive. Its a learning experience and i hope (if its meant to be) to keep following you on your journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww Ellie....thank you. I am going to reach out to them today as I still haven't heard from them. We'll see how this goes...

    ReplyDelete