Monday, February 7, 2011

Patitas Calientes, El Smurf and my new schedule!

Alright folks let’s get up to date.  Last time on “As Puerto Rico Turns”, I was a bit worried about Mama and the healthcare struggle.  Since then, I’ve undoubtedly gotten my prayer on.  I’ve also identified a few things I plan to (and have already started) implement in her routine, which will ensure that we’re doing our part in maintaining her health.  Within the days following my frustrated post, Mama had good news.  One of the neighbors volunteered to help us secure three doctors appointments so that we could have our choice of cardiologists to see.  Also, Mama has been sleeping better and I believe I’m pretty close to convincing her to join Patitas Calientes (Hot Feet).  They’re a group of senior citizens who gather three times a week at 7am.  They walk and stretch at the track that I run on.  The minute I saw them I thought of Mama.  She would have new friends her age and she would be exercising with me but yet without me!  I brought it up for the second time today.  She said something about she doesn’t think she should be leaving the dog alone so much.  I chuckled, shook my head and gruffly replied “Oh, por favorrrr.Mama” (Oh  pa-lease Mama).  She smiled and looked down, very aware of the lame excuse she just tried to pass off.  I’ll invite her again tomorrow when I wake up and every single time I’m heading out until she says yes.

Speaking of running…I am doing it!  I’m running in the World’s Best 10K in San Juan at the end of this month!  A few months before I left for Puerto Rico my always researching, always informative, big bro sent me a link to a video about the island.  In it, they mentioned an annual race that occurs in February in San Juan.  As soon as I saw that part of the video, I knew I wanted in.  So, I’m finally all registered and set to participate in my first race ever on Sunday, February 27th!  I figure it’s a good fit and something I can train for by myself.  Stay tuned for pics and a mini tour of the San Juan area!
El Smurf

Speaking of mini tour…in the next week or so I am going to begin posting various points of interest, places to eat, things to see, places to stay in PR info on this blog.  My list of Puerto Rico visitors is growing so I want to make sure that I am (and in turn you are) as informed as possible.  I know I can be an awesome tour guide for all who visit (and maybe even get some part time work  being a real guide too).

How can I tour the island without a vehicle you say?  Well, we got one!  Yes, another one!  This one was way cheaper (with less mileage), Mama’s favorite car color (blue) and compatible with my iPod (I need my music).  I affectionately refer to it as ‘El Smurf’.  Yeah, it looks small, but it’s pretty roomy inside.  The only sucky part is that everything in the car is manual, which means I’m rolling down windows and unlocking (and locking) the car with the key (unbelievable right?!?!?).  It’s all good though, I’m just happy to have the freedom to go wherever I need to whenever I need to. 
Library

Speaking of freedom…with freedom comes much responsibility!  From as early as 5 years old we are given a schedule to follow.  For most of us, these prepared and regimented schedules only began to vary during our college years. Once we’re done with college, though, most of us head to offices that keep us on a 9 to 5 or 6 to 10.  Now that I’ve broken myself out of the labyrinth, I still need to create my own schedule.  One that allows time to do the laundry list of things I have to and want to do.  So, much like I did with my nephew and nieces when I was babysitting them, I created a schedule with Mama.  Here’s what it looks like (I even wrote it out on my dry erase board so if ever there’s a question about which day is what, she will know):

Mon. (lunes) – Cleaning Day (choose a part of the house to attack and I clean it)
Tues. (martes) – Store Day (every store her little heart desires to go to, we go on this day)
Wed. (miercoles) – Work Day ( I leave the house and head to the library at UPR  where I work on everything from my Spanish homework to video edits to my blog to finding a way to bring in some income)
Thurs. (jueves) – Beach Day (Mama, Max and I hop into El Smurf and enjoy a few hours relaxing on the beach.  Mama and I exercise with a bouncy ball while Max digs his paws and face deep into the sand.  Then, Mama sits and enjoys the shade while doing her word searches and I enjoy the sun while continuing to work on my Spanish, prepare my blogs and catch up on my spiritual readings.)
Fri. (viernes) – Work Say (I hit the library again and/or hit the streets for my Puerto Rico travel guide notes)
Sat. (sabado)– Free Day (This day is open for whatever didn’t get done/finished during the week and for extra time with the rest of my family members who live here in PR)
Sun. (domingo) – Church Day (Church, spiritual reading, cooking and Scrabble are usually on the menu)
Mama n Max at the Beach
Max
Mama with her chair and her tree




As you can see by the schedule, tomorrow I have a day of cleaning ahead of me (not to mention my AM run) so I’m turning in.  Don’t worry, another posting is on the way sooner than you think.  Hasta manaña folks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment