Wednesday, February 9, 2011

¡Avena!

Alright folks, I hear many of you are freezing and sick and tired of snow.  No fear little icicles!  Here's something to brighten your cold and gloomy day as one of the benefits of cold weather is the opportunity to make yummy, warm, and comforting dishes!  Here's one straight from Mama's kitchen!  It's called Avena, which is basically oatmeal, but its Puerto Rican style...and its done with sabor (flavor)!  ¡Disfrute! (Enjoy!)

Pot (Casserola)
Avena
Splenda
Vanilla Extract
Cinnamon (Canela)
Milk
and
Water









This recipe serves about 2 heaping bowls (but can feed up to 3 or 4 depending on how hungry you are)

Step 1
In a pot combine:
4 spoons  of Avena
1 cup of milk
1 cup of water
*If you like your oatmeal dense lessen the water/milk, if you like it watery, add more*
1 packet of Splenda (or 1 tspn of sugar of your choice)
Mix with a spoon

Step 2
Stir in a tablespoon of vanilla extract (Mama prefers white vanilla over the dark kind)
Add in a tablespoon of  Cinnamon
Mix again with a spoon

Step 3
Place pot on the stove and cook it on a medium flame
Let it cook for 2 or 3 minutes
Turn off the flame and stir
Let it sit for about 2 minutes and serve!
Sprinkle some Cinnamon on top for flare and enjoy!




Breakfast is served!

6 comments:

  1. OMG Mish! My mom used to make this for us growing up - it's delicious!!! We called it "yummy crema" =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanilla extract (white)? I haven't tried that yet... I use honey instead of splenda or sugar. I'm going to try it with the extract next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Amanda I told my grandma about your "Yummy Crema" and she was cracking up!
    @Rie Yeah it might just be white vanilla...use a teaspoon of that and some honey...I personally want to try brown sugar ;P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm!! My Grandma (may she rest in peace) used to make avena for me too and it was the best I've ever had! She used vanilla as well and real cinammon sticks for flavoring. So delicious!! I really miss that stuff. I'm going to have to duplicate this recipe. Brings me back to the good ol' days. I'm really glad that you're spending time con tu abuela, Mish. So many special memories you're creating for the two of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww Desi!!!! Real cinnamon sticks sounds outstanding, might have to grab some of those next time I'm at the store. I'm glad to be spending time w her as well...tahnk u for continuing to follow me on my journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've tried this and it amaze balls good,I love it nad now i can make it on my own.

    ReplyDelete