Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Tostones de Pana

Mama was NOT really cutting
Pana.  I love pana.  Before I came to live here in Puerto Rico, I had never tasted nor even seen a pana.  Pana, also known as breadfruit, is commonly eaten boiled and paired with algo guisado [something stewed] or cut into cubes, lightly fried, smashed, and then fried again [like tostones].  Today's cooking lesson will show you the latter...both super duper easy AND TASTY! [The other way, you simply boil with salt to taste for about 20 minutes]
How to cut/cook pana [in pictures]:

Step 1: slice in half
Step 2: Slice like you would a cantaloupe
Step 3: Peel the skin

Step 4: Cut into cubes

Step 5: Place in bowl with water and salt to taste

Step 6: Heat oil and fry until lightly golden

Step 7: Place on flat surface [my neighbor uses a plastic bag, I don't know how I feel about that]

Step 8: Squash the pana down

Step 9: Open & refry for a few minutes 

Step 10: Voila!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.  It has been quite a journey thus far with Mama and her one arm and a more detailed blog highlighting those adventures is on the way.  Until then, though, I cook, and make lemonade out of lemons [or tostones out of pana].

No comments:

Post a Comment