Monday, August 1, 2011

Full Speed Ahead Batman!!!!


Icees after church!

“Full speed ahead Batman!” That’s how I feel nowadays.  My two-week trip to New York ended up being extended to almost a month long adventure.

Erto Berto on his way to Japan!
I arrived in time to see my little bro off to Japan and while we didn’t get to spend the quality one on one time I would have liked, in the manner in which I imagined it, we still got to be together.   The way I see it, he was given an opportunity to spend time with friends and family that truly missed him but he was also shown, that he’s changed.  There’s nothing like going back to where you came from to show you just how far you’ve come, and more importantly, how far you still have to go.  So, on July 6th, he headed out…onto a two day journey that took him from New York to San Antonio to Dallas to Tokyo and finally to Misawa, Japan!  He had the privilege of being bumped up to Business and even First Class on the majority of his flights.  What luck right?!  Now, my fresh-faced 18-year-old hermanito and I are on similar yet very different journeys.  He’s experiencing the real life Top Gun, 13 hours ahead of all he’s ever known, financially independent for the first time in his life, while I’m sitting in a cafeteria, undergoing a Spanish-only orientation designed to prepare me to face 2nd – 12th graders beginning Monday morning.  I’m being asked to sign contracts that I can hardly understand and fighting feelings of panic.  Either way, we’re both in strange lands, embarking on new adventures, and prepping ourselves as best we can for what is to come.  We both feel excited yet disconnected, apart of a team and yet still lonely.  We’re navigating and looking to each other for support.
Don't miss this!
Did miss this!


Once Erto Berto left for Japan I realized I had a few short days to get a laundry list of things done.  I had already come to the realization that as far as my eyes could see, I wouldn’t be returning to live in New York anytime soon.  I also realized my parents garage was chock full of my stuff.  Letters, cards, notebooks, photos, books, clothing…the list goes on.  Some of that stuff, believe it or not, went as far back as elementary school.  It was time to start clearing that stuff out.  Letting go of what I no longer needed, finding use for whatever I “saved for later” and storing whatever I truly knew I’d use/need when I finally settle into my own place again.  So, I changed my cramped, no-space-for-my-knees-and-my-feet-Continental-Airlines-seat, for a nice and roomy Jet Blue seat 10 days later (no I’m not being paid for this endorsement although I should be)!  By the end of my bonus time in New York, I was ready to be home.  I missed Mama.  I missed Max.  I missed Titi Annie.  I missed Puerto Rico.  While in New York I got the good news that I officially got the teaching job at the school that my church has and I would begin August 1st.  I also got all my paperwork in order to open my very own food stand!   Hence, why I feel like its been non-stop since I’ve gotten back.  Oh, and did I mention I chopped all my hair off?!  Yeah, check out my new haircut.  Its crazy short but I absolutely LOVE it.  More on the new job, the food stand and the decision to cut my signature mop aka hair in the coming post.  The blog slump is over!  Let’s celebrate! WoooO!
Went from this...
...to this!

AND I LOVE IT!!


No comments:

Post a Comment