Friday, May 20, 2011

The Lost Pictures II


So as promised I found more lost pics!  Let's get started!  First up, theater in Puerto Rico!  I love theater and I have been going through Broadway withdrawl out here.  So, one day when Titi Annie and I were headed to the local track to get our run on, we stumbled upon this sign.  I immediately took the number down and was determined to experience any theater I could on this side of the island.  Now, please keep in mind that the side of PR that I live on is not near the main city which is San Juan.  If you live over there there are shows of all sorts coming to town all the time.  Over here, not so much.  The Puerto Rico version of Romeo and Juliet was put on by local teens.  They did everything from the advertising to the props to the lighting.  Their director was very proud of them and I have to say while it was at times moments painful to sit through (picture Juliet and several other cast members with nasally monotone voices reciting Shakespeare in Spanish), it was also pretty entertaining.  You can tell these kids worked hard and it made me miss being both in the audience and behind the curtain.
They kissed passionately ALOT during the show.
Roméo y Julieta
It was so nice to see a theater again!



Ok, next up...Paul Rudd.  I walked into my local grocery store the other day and this was staring me in the face.  Immediately I cracked up.  First, he's being serious.  Second, he's modeling mens eyewear.  Third, it is life size.  Last, it is in a grocery store.  I also immediately thought of my Spike peeps as many of them would have gotten quite a giggle out of this display as well.  Miss you guys!
Mr. Rudd in all his glory

Oh ok!!  So, my Tio Ray came on a surprise visit a few weeks ago.  He arrived at some random hour of the morning and refused to sleep.  Instead, he wanted me to drive him over to some family friends of his. I vaguely remember them from when I was a kid, but they moved to Puerto Rico a long time ago and I haven't seen them in years.  But, much like many families around here, they welcomed me with open arms and treated me like they had just seen me yesterday.  When we arrived, there was an older gentleman working hard painting a car.  My uncle pointed to him and said "That man is 90 years old and he's always moving.  Look at him!"  He is the father of the family friends we were visiting.  Eventually, we made our way over to him and my uncle immediately asked him if he had some drink he was apparently famous for having stashed away in his garage.  Please see the cutest old man ever and his bottle o' fire!  It tasted like really old dark rum with lots of fruit.  I think that's basically what it is.  It was warm and it definitely wasn't quiet as it went down.  I tried it because how could you say no to that face...but I won't rush for seconds, that's for sure!





After the glass o'fire, and showing us two of his wooden fishing boats that he made himself, he walked us over to his mango tree.  Right now is the season for mangos...anywhere you go roads are lined with free delicious mangos that drip from the trees and literally spill into the streets.  He called these banana mangos and proceeded to pull a knife out of his pocket and peel the mango like a banana.  The mango did not taste like a banana but it sure was delicious!  His wife later warned me that combining the glass o'fire and mangos was not a good idea.  So, I handed the rest of my mango over to my Tio in fear of me having to pay a high price on the throne later.




I have found yet another dream home.  The first one I have yet to take any good pictures of but this one I admire twice a week as I head to the track.  It is located in Cabo Rojo and has two huge mango trees.  I love this style of house and shamefully I think it goes back to my days as a 90210 fan!  Yes, I think my dream home is a result of Brandon and Brenda's 90210 home...excuse me as I hang my head in shame.  Seriously, this place is beautiful and while I'm sure it needs work, it seems to have enough space for a beautiful fruit/veggie garden, a basketball hoop and maybe even a swing set!  Ahhh a girl can dream can't she?!



Now we're finally getting up to date.  Here are the two amigas celebrating Mother's Day!  Mother's Day was bitter sweet for me.  I spoke to my mom for over two hours which felt really good.  I really miss her but this experience is also strengthening our relationship.  We are still mother and daughter but also two adult women just talking.  I had a tough time picking out a card for her without feeling that crying lump in my throat.  Then, five minutes after we started our conversation, Mom just sighed and said "I really miss you girl." Of course the lump in my throat came back as I expressed just how much I was avoiding talking to her because I didn't want to cry on her!  But, when I saw Mama get all dressed up in her best pink skirt suit so that I could take her out for lunch, well, I knew this is exactly where I needed to be.  If I weren't here she would have fielded a few phone calls and then the day would have passed like any other.  Instead, she ate lobster soup and posed for me we realized her pink nails perfectly matched her pink outfit.  I gave her a manicure a few days prior (she chose the color) with no idea that it would complete her look come Mother's Day! LOL!


 Next up...something we haven't talked about in awhile...FOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment