Monday, May 30, 2011

Food!

This is how the table is set up with products weekly
As promised, today's posting is all about food!  I've previously mentioned that I've been patiently waiting to hear something regarding a start date for this English teaching job I got back in Feb/March.  I've also mentioned that while waiting lots of other things have been developing around me.  Mostly, domestic type things, as my responsibilities at Mama's house continue to grow.  One such responsibility is cooking.  Yep, I have been using Mama's lessons and experimenting a bit in the kitchen!  Out of that came the creation of  a few healthy empanadillas (chicken and broccoli as well as black bean and beets) which I gifted to a few neighbors ( and also highlighted their creation on this blog).   About a week later, one of my neighbors stopped me to tell me how much her and her family enjoyed the empanadillas.  Then, we started talking about my quest to infuse what Mama has taught me with healthier options.  She mentioned she had quite a few vegetarian recipes she could give me and even went a step further by telling me about a local cooking class that she use to go to.  I was so excited when she told me it was held in a natural food store (I had been looking for one of those as there are no Whole Foods or Fairways out here), and you get to eat what you made after class!  That was pretty much all I had to hear.  I got all the information from her and by Thursday of that week I was attending my first class!

Black bean chili in Tortilla cups - I made this at home - tasted better in class!
Here's the deal, the class is once a week.  Olga is the teacher and she is bilingual (although I'm trying to get her to stop answering me in English).  She's probably in her late 50's/early 60's but looks amazing!  The class is full of women and on average two men.  One though, Don Miguel, is the constant and is so cute (he reminds me of the grandpa version of a guy I use to date)!  Of course because the class its smack in the middle of the week and from 9a to 11a everyone there is of retirement age and very curious as to what I'm doing there.  What else?  OH!  We don't cook.  Olga gives us the recipes and then gives a step by step demonstration.  The class is $4 and we get a minimum of 3 recipes a class.  Yes, that means I get to eat a minimum of 3 things per class.  Sometimes we also get a bonus because one of the students will bring a dish in too.  All recipes are in Spanish and the entire class is in Spanish (unless Olga is talking to me unfortunately).   I have figured out over these past few weeks that I've taken the class that this is a vegan cooking class....meaning nothing that comes from an animal is used (no eggs, cheese, meat, nada).

Flan de Pana thanks to Don Miguel sooo good!
The first day I went to class I was a bit nervous because I wasn't sure what I was stepping into.  I just went.  Once I met Olga my nerves were calmed a bit as she is very nice and welcoming.  She reminded me of home as she seemed to have a NY edge to her.  After about 20 minutes of sitting there, I received a few more warm wordless yet curious smiles from the incoming students (all whom kiss, embrace and chat with one another throughout class).  Then, trouble walked through the door.  

Pasta with Eggplant - tried this one at home yum!
I sensed this woman was trouble when she plopped down next to me and started chit chatting with the woman next to her as if Olga wasn’t even smack in middle of a lesson.  It’s hard to explain, but some people just let off a dark cloud, a tough demeanor and they really don’t have to say much.  It doesn’t help she’s taller than me with her bottom teeth full of braces, clear green eyes and burgundy/light red dyed hair.   Anywhoo, some time past and I continued to pay close attention to the lesson at hand.  After all, I was there for the lesson.  But then, Olga made me the center of attention by announcing that I am here trying to learn Spanish so that is the reason that sometimes she stops to explain things in English and why she keeps asking me if I have any questions.   She meant well, but that is all Ms. Trouble needed to hear.  Immediately, she turns to me and says (in Spanish) “What are you a gringa?”  I respond nervously in Spanish “Yes.”  Then I remember that while in New York gringa often means a Latina who can’t speak Spanish, here in Puerto Rico gringa pretty much means white woman.  So, I quickly add in Spanish “I mean, no, I’m Puerto Rican, I just don’t speak Spanish fluently.” It feels like she’s burning a whole through my cheek with her clear green eyes when I say “My parents didn’t raise me bilingual so I’m here with my grandmother trying to learn.” She continues to stare at me with disappointment in her face as she scoffs and says “That’s horrible.  What a shame.” She turned away from me and to this day hasn’t said a word to me since….unless you count the time she said Spanish words in an overly gringa accent (that was the same day she found out I wasn’t fluent so I couldn’t help but feel that was a stab at me).  
Garbanzo and Cabbage Soup (on the fence about this one)
Pudding Cake with Fresh Strawberry topping (hope to make this soon)
'Ole Clear Eyes sits close or next to me just about every Thursday and always leaves before we eat.  I do feel a certain resentment towards her but every week I try to approach her energy with a calm and positive vibe.  The honest truth is I’m holding a grudge because I think she’s all around unnecessarily rude but I know I have to work that out.  I don’t want to have ill feelings towards someone I don’t even know based on one mini run in.  I also try to remind myself that sooner or later a run in like that was bound to happen.  It is up to me to continue to work on my language so that I can limit how much it actually does happen.


Chicken, Veggie and Sweet Plantain soup I made for Mama when she was sick! This was my 1st soup ever! Delish!
Now, here is why I keep going back!  Take a look at some of the dishes we’ve learned how to make in class.  I am proud to say I have tried three of these recipes already and my favorite so far is the Quinoa Salad!  I’ve made it twice and improved on it the second time and Mama definitely approves!  I have also gotten new ideas for substituting everyday fatty non-nutricious ingredients with better for you just as delicious items.  One example?  I re-worked my mom’s chocolate chip cookie recipe and made coconut chocolate chip cookie bars with whole wheat flour and virtually NO BUTTER/MARGARINE.  Mama and the neighbors absolutely LOVE them!  In other news…the specific contract I was hired to teach English for has since disappeared so it appears I no longer have a job unless they obtain another contract with another company who wants to teach their workers English... I have also been willingly avoiding my scale as I experiment and continue to eat…mmm mmmm mmmm!
Quinoa Salad (in class)
Quinoa Salad (my version)



3 comments:

  1. Mmmmm all this food looks delicious!! Reading about that woman made me upset because you and I were raised the same way. It's hurtful. But like you said, you have to remain calm and positive. You can't let people's ignorance ruin your day (even though it's hard!!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell ole evil eyes to get a life! Lol. She must be curious about you if she keeps sitting by you. maybe she'll warm up and if not then her loss! I have struck out every time I've made quinoa so more power to you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Desi yeah I am loving these classes and learning so much every week! That woman is definitely an interesting character but she can't stop me from improving...if anything she kicked it up a notch!
    @Darla you're hilarious! I think she is curious about me because she seems to have softened a bit and tries to make a point to speak in Spanglish now in class. Darla Quinoa is soooo easy!! Ok first, use one cup of water for every cup of quinoa. The last time I made it I threw a vegetable cube in the boiling water...let that simmer and then added hte quinoa and covered it. Then as that cooks cut up a lot of peppers, scallions, cilantro and throw that in. Then mix together olive oil, lime juice (fresh if possible), a little salt and a little garlic (minced or powder)...you can also throw in a dash of sugar but thats up to you. That mixture will serve as your dressing after you add your peppers, tomatoes, cilantro, etc. I hope you can try your hand at making it just one more time! LOL

    ReplyDelete