Saturday, September 4, 2010

Lil' Man Lovin'

Titi Misha n Jaden
This is my lil' man...my numero uno nephew.  Recently, he took his first trip to Puerto Rico with my parents.  When I picked them up from the airport he hugged me super tight then planted a huge kiss on my cheek and said "I missed you Titi!!"  Soon after, we were driving home and I asked him how he enjoyed Puerto Rico. Apparently, he had a ball!  So much of a ball that he said "I wish I could live there."  I saw that as my opportunity to start breaking the news to him that I'm leaving. So, while in the car I said "Oh yeah?  Well you know Titi is going to live there for awhile."  He said "Really?! Cool!"  and he looked out the window and drifted away with his thoughts.  That was about a month ago...

...This morning was part two of that conversation.  For as long as he can remember his Titi Misha has lived downstairs.  Unless its bed time or dinner time, whenever I come up to visit, the kids (Jaden and Renee...Sophia is still too small) usually end up in my apartment.  They play, they sing, they dance, they color, they read.  This morning was no exception.  Now, to bring you up to speed, Jaden has been quite the traveler this summer.  A week after returning from Puerto Rico, he left for Florida to visit his mom's family.  As a result, he missed my first Packin' Up For Puerto Rico yard sale.  So, his trip to my apartment this morning was his first since he returned from Florida. As soon as he walked in he noticed a difference.  His face looked confused and then he saw my 13 inch TV/VCR on my living room floor and this is how conversation number two went down:

Jaden: "Oh wow Titi, you have two TV's now?"
Me: "No, that's the one from my bedroom.  It's out here because I'm selling it."
Jaden: "Oh, your selling everything because you want to get money?"
Me: "Yes, for Puerto Rico."
Jaden: "I thought you went already."
Me: "I did go, but that was just for a visit.  I'm going to visit again this month and then I'm going to move there in December."
Jaden: "You're moving there?!" Jaden's face falls in confusion. "You mean your leaving?
Me: "Yes."
Jaden: "You're not going to live here anymore?"
Me: "No."
Jaden: "And you're never going to come back...you're never going to live here?" He points to the ground referring to my apartment under his house.  His voice rises, his perfectly tanned cheeks look flushed and his eyes grow wide.
Me: Whispering "No" With a lump in my throat the size of an apple, I search for a comforting answer not only for him but for myself.  This is hard.
Me: "I'm not going to live there forever, I am coming back but no, I won't be living here when I get back."
Jaden:  Silence.  Confused look still there.
Me: "But maybe you can come visit me over there!"
Jaden: "Yayy!"

Jaden in Renee playing in my room
I let out a silent sigh of relief and walk away with a heavy heart feverishly looking for my computer.  I need to blog.  I can't cry, not in front of him and his sister.  The sounds of them pretending to be horses while dancing and singing have just taken on a whole new meaning...I'm going to miss them so much I'm not really ready to address it.  I've got to go run for the bathroom before they realize Titi's crying.

2 comments:

  1. aww... I know how you felt.. I would have started crying right there.. They are the best to love and to be loved by..

    Its gonna be tough for a while, especially in the beginning, then at some points over time. Try to let out everything before you go so too much won't be on your mind and you can concentrate and enjoy while you're out there..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ellie...I want them to know I'm not leaving them and I still want to be someone important to them...but I know much of that depends on me and the frequency in which I reach out to them while I'm down in Puerto Rico...

    ReplyDelete