Sunday, August 8, 2010

First things first...

Ok so here's the deal...my name is Michelle Ann Gonzalez.  We'll start there because growing up, I was always uneasy with my full name.  See, the Michelle part wasn't the issue.  It was pretty straight to the point, spelled correctly (in my humble opinion) with two l's and quite pretty.  It also helped that my nickname since as far back as I could remember was "Misha" so I always felt unique.  I always knew who was talking to me and for what purpose.  Michelle = formal.  Misha = family.  Later, Mish = college.

Back to the point, my uneasiness with my name.  Ann.  This is probably the biggest problem I have with my name only second to the combo of Michelle + Ann.  See, I wanted to know how Luz Elenia and Albert 'Chico' Gonzalez somehow sat in the hospital and said "You know what would sound great with Gonzalez...Michelle Ann!"  "Yes, honey, that's perfect!"  Really?!  Throughout my life I've vocalized my distaste for my full name and often questioned my mom on this name thing.  This is usually how the conversation went (who am I kidding...GOES):


Me: "Ma, Ann, really?  Like why?"
Ma: "Misha, I don't understand why you have such a hangup about your middle name.  I think its very nice."
Me:"Ma, Michelle Ann Gonzalez?  Its like Maria Conchita Walker.  It just doesn't go.  Could you get anymore apple pie and American flag?!"
Ma: Sucks her teeth and has a tinge of frustration in her voice. "I named you after your aunt."
Me: (sidenote: I use to accept this answer but as I got older, this next point occurred to me) "Yeah but Ma, Titi's name is Santa Ana.  So if you really wanted to name me after her I'd be Michelle Santa or Michelle Santa Ana or Michelle Ana NOT Michelle Ann."
Ma: Sucking her teeth yet again and walking away "Que mucha hotha!" (translation: What a pain in the ass you are!)

But now, in hindsight, my name serves as a perfect analogy for who I am and the internal struggle that has led me to Packin' It Up For Puerto Rico

By heritage, I am Puerto Rican.  My mother (Luz Elenia) was born on the island and at the age of 12 arrived in New York, along with her two brothers (Raynaldo and Salvador Jr.) and little sister (Santa Ana).  She speaks fluent Spanish and after a short time in school, spoke fluent English as well.  Her penmanship is stellar, and if you ask me, she is and has always been a class act.  My father (Albert 'Chico') was born on the streets of New York City...literally.  A postman delivered him...no lie...at least I don't think.  The postman's name was Albert and so there you have it.  'Chico' is not his official middle name but since he didn't have one and somehow he earned that nickname through the years, he would claim it as his middle name every now and then.  He speaks Spanish well, but not as well as my mom.  He's a protector, provider and quite a charmer.  Since I am the only girl of three children, he has also made it very difficult for any man after my heart as I am a daddy's girl through and through. 

Growing up with the Gonzalez clan was awesome.  A lot of love and just as much English.  In fact, as I can recall the only time I really heard Spanish spoken at home was when my relatives from Puerto Rico called, when my dad was saying something fresh (usually a curse...which of course were the words I picked up the fastest), or when my parents were talking about something they didn 't want us to understand.  So there you have it.  A Puerto Rican girl with a very Puerto Rican last name and a very American first and middle name. 


Sure, throughout the years I've worked on the language but I've finally come to a point where Spanish classes and workbooks just aren't enough.  I need to know more than just hola and muy bien.  I need to strengthen my relationship with my last living grandparent and hopefully through her and these experiences, get a better understanding of who I am and where I come from so that one day I may pass this information on to my children.  Therefore, before any more time passes and before I can come up with an excuse to not do this, I am Packin' It Up for Puerto Rico.  By early December of 2010, Michelle Ann Gonzalez will be living in Puerto Rico looking to finally embrace every part of mi nombre...first, middle and last.


This blog will serve as my online diary.  The preparation for one of the biggest decisions of my life and the experience once I am there.  Ladies and gentlemen, a change is a comin'...are you ready to join me on my journey?  Follow me.  Post comments....maybe even help me pack ;)

8 comments:

  1. You're moving to PR permanently?! *its Drenna BTW*

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Misha! I didn't know that you were planning on moving to PR by year's end! That's awesome!!! As I was reading your blog entry, I completely identified with you. For as long as I can remember, English was (and still is) the #1 language spoken in my household. My brothers and I didn't know a lick of spanish until we got older. I was fortunate enough that by the time I was 8 years old, I was picking up the language because my mom and I would go to Florida every summer for about one month, and my mom and my grandma (Mama), would speak only in spanish to each other. So what choice did I have, but to understand what they were saying? I empathize with you so much, because I am not a native spanish speaker, and it bugs me (A LOT!). I wish my parents would've spoken to me only in spanish as a child, because in school, I would've learned english. It becomes harder as an adult to learn another language, but it is possible. Once you immerse yourself into the culture, and you're around the language 24/7, it will become easier. I understand about 95% of what's said around me, and if I have to, I will speak it, but not with much confidence. I hope that you can find that confidence! I've often fantasized of moving to Spain for 6 months so I can come back home completely fluent. What an experience this will be for you!! Que bien!!! Disfrutalo! - Desi

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Drenna nah not permanently, just for a minimum of 6 months. No matter how hard it gets, I can't leave until six months are up. By then, I either choose to stay longer or head to my next destination...

    @Desi its amazing how many of us are struggling with this same issue. If you know anyone else who would be interested in reading this blog please forward on and don't forget to follow me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Luck Michelle... I am sure your journey will be a great one. A journey with ups will surely have its downs but in the end, you will be a happier and more experienced person for it. Say hello to the ocean for me... And do not hesitate to take a dip..
    Regards,

    Kelly (Amanda Martineau's Cousin)

    ReplyDelete
  5. AH!!! Mish, you're amazing! (I mean that in the most beautiful way, btw)!

    I struggle with my middle name as well. And constantly questioned my, then alive, parents their rationalle for my middle name. It's neither English, Creole, French, or African. (Aye) Through 'tis day, only dire legal papers will have my middle name fully written. All else is just initial. I haven't fully embraced yet. lol. I'm working on it. Thank you for inspire me to dig a little deeper internally to reconnect with my middle name.

    I command you for sharing and on your up coming transition to PR. I wish you all the success with it and your goals. And now that I know about your blog... I'll a new follower...w/ your approval.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW ladies...I'm speechless...these posts just prove you really never know where inspiration will come from.
    @ Kelly thank you so much for checking my page out and offering your encouragement!
    @Rie I am SO glad you found this blog. Please, read, comment, enjoy, follow and spread the word...I need all of you to keep me going.

    Ladies, I know there will be some tough times but in the end it will all be worth it. Thank you again, a thousand times over!! Keep following!

    PS new post coming today :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous woman,
    Rise and shine,
    Show the world your secret riches.
    The glitter in your gaze,
    the natural pep in your step,
    You glow with exhilaration and eagerness.
    You are not a slave to fashion,
    No exclusive do’s,
    No huge accessories needed.
    You smolder in your desires,
    Ardent in your search,
    You know what you are made of.
    You flip your hair,
    At the monotonous beliefs of others,
    And you are pretty sure of what you want.
    People love to watch you,
    They gain inspiration from you,
    You are a pure essence an marvel with no ends.
    Gorgeous woman,
    Allow your luminosity to shine through,
    And allow your eyes to verbalize the meaning of true inner beauty.

    Copyright © 2004 Kelly Del Valle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Damn girl! Please sign up as my follower LOL I love this!!!!

    ReplyDelete