Monday, August 16, 2010

Attack of the Flies!!

So this past Saturday I come home from a quick overnight trip as happy as a peach only to discover my house has been pretty much taken over by flies!  It was as disgusting as it sounds believe you me.  Now, I may be a messy person but in no means am I dirty so let's clear that up right away.  It was really odd, almost something out of a scary movie!  At one point I see about 5 or 6 of these buggers buzzing around my living room light and I'm like "Damn!  Those are some HUGE flies!"  Now, I'm no fly expert but the best way to describe what they reminded me of were Horse Flies.  Yes, big as horse flies that are often confused with Bees because of how prominent their Bzzzz is.  Anywhooo, I see 5 or 6 buzzing around my light and I realize that something is wrong.  Then I hear a really strong buzz the closer I get to the light which is about a foot from one of my basement apartment windows...I knew there was something behind the blinds and as much as I didn't want to look, I knew I had to.  When I lifted that shade, I'm telling you, I almost barfed, screamed, fainted all at the same time!!  There was a cluster of about 10 to 15 of these huge ass flies all gathered on my window.  Instead of taking the "girly" way out I just ran to my cleaning supplies under my kitchen sink and hoped to get my hands on something that could help me...and FAST.  Luckily, I had fly spray and within a matter of minutes there were about 20 dead flies laying around my apartment.  I know, gross right?  I quickly cleaned it up and bolted out the house because I had a movie date with a friend of mine to see Eat Pray Love and not even a Fly Plague was going to stop me from seeing that movie!  All the while, I'm asking myself Where could those flies be coming from? and Why would such an odd thing happen?  Its so odd that I felt like there had to be a deeper meaning behind it (no, I'm NOT kidding...stick around and you'll understand why). 

So, I watched the movie, came to the conclusion that like most movies, it paled in comparison to the book, but still allowed myself to walk away with valuable mini messages.  This movie reinforced themes that I use to struggle with and some that I continue to struggle with as I prepare to embark on my new journey. 

E. Honda
First, eating.  Well see I eat.  I eat like a little fat kid and I honestly have never been ashamed of it.  I only had to address it when I had to exchange my jeans for sweatpants after packing on the freshman 20 in college.  In fact it was so bad that, I can't believe I'm revealing this but whatever...it was so bad that I was called E. Honda (yes, the sumo wrestler from Street Fighter--that E. Honda) by some of my closest friends...I guess they knew I had tough skin.  So, I discovered the gym, jogging and vegetables and continued to stuff my face.  Eating?  Yes, I eat and I'm proud of it! 


Second, praying.  Its been a long, hard headed and sometimes difficult journey between the big G-O-D and I but let me tell you, He has won me over.  I'm new in my walk with the Lord and man when I tell you NO ONE saw this coming..not even me...most folks who are closest to me still can't wrap their head around it.  All I can do is continue to follow my heart, hope that they accept me for the new me I am growing into, and realize that while there is a new Mish forming I still have the same heart...actually it may be even warmer now.  This spiritual journey I've been on deserves more than just a paragraph but I know it will continue to pop up through my posts, so I'll just keep it here.  I just know that many of my recent 'bold decisions' are only being accomplished because my faith has truly given me the strength.  Walk by faith not by sight is one of the realest lines ever!  LOL

Me & the Mama (Maria) I am to live with
Third, loving.  Love is a beautiful thing.  Love for God, love for my family and love for myself has helped me in so many ways over this past year.  Figuring out what love--true love means is a difficult thing.  See, its not all peaches and roses.  Its tough.  That can be translated into any relationship, be it lovers or friends.  Sometimes love means letting go and moving forward.  Sometimes love means holding tight and working through the storm.  It is up to you to figure out how to navigate love but if you are prepared to be truly honest with yourself, you will find the meaning of love and it will make it easier to spot....and appreciate.

Now, I finish watching the movie with my dear friend Charlene and we grab a bite to eat and chit chat about her latest adventures (she has also embarked on a new adventure...leaving the corporate world to pursue her dreams to be a musician all while teaching Yoga) and offer each other encouragement to keep moving forward.  It was a wonderful evening but as I neared my home, the smile on my face turned into a frown.  Those damn flies were waiting for me and I now had to deal once again.  My brother is my landlord so he was alerted that this was an issue before I left for the movie.  By the time I got home he had left me a message "Misha I have a bomb ready to go for those flies, you just have to clear all your cabinets before I set it off.  Let me know when your done and I'll set it off." 

Attack of the Flies!
I'm not going to lie, normally I'd be in a pissy mood saying to myself This sucks!  Why me?!  I shouldn't even be living here anymore!  I got to get out! Waa Waa Waa!  Oddly enough, none of that was going on...I guess I was too busy trying to figure out the REAL reason for this fly attack.  So, I do what big bro tells me to do.  I get a bunch of plastic bags and I begin to pack everything from my cabinets into these bags.  And that, ladies and gentlemen, is when it hit me.  I stopped, looked up, and just chuckled. 

See, I'm Packin Up for PR...I'm moving from a one bedroom apartment into a single bedroom in my grandmother's house.  Everything must go.  I am taking my clothes and my juicer and selling everything else.  The sales of everything will help sustain me until I find employment out there (ahem, SIDE NOTE: that is also why there is a PayPal Donate button on the top right of this blog...yes, I have no shame...don't get me a bday gift or a going away gift just donate whatever you would have used to get me a bottle or even a card). 
I wanted to hold a yard sale before the weather turned and looking at the calendar, that yard sale would have to be soon.  The plan in my head was to hold a yard sale first, then, whatever was left over I would sell on this blog/EBay/Craig's List.  These sales would help me financially (be it money towards a car, a Mac to edit my adventures, groceries for me and grandma so I don't feel like a mooch, the plane ticket to PR, gas, the list goes on...).  And guess what?! This Attack of the Flies just gave me the push I needed to make that yard sale happen in the next two weeks!  There is no way I was going to pack up those cabinets only to repack and organize them for a yard sale.  It was time to get it done!  That is why I was attacked.  So, thank you flies, thank you for pushing me forward.  You may call that coincidence.  I call it God and his quirky sense of humor ;)

The yard sale will be held on Saturday, August 28th and Sunday, August 29th in el Bronx.  More details to come!

1 comment: