Tuesday, September 10, 2013

E. Steven Collins - the man, the myth, the legend...

Ernie Steven Collins, better known as E. Steven and best known as simply, E.  Yesterday morning I started my day with a phone call no one wants to receive.  E, a dear friend and mentor, had suddenly passed away.  I was numb with sadness and shock.  It had been over a year since we communicated but the pain was still palpable, nonetheless.

E was an original, a class act.  He was a community leader, an exceptional mentor, a comedian, a loving husband, a tremendous father (and an influential father figure to so many others), an amazing friend.

I was maybe twenty when I met E.  He immediately took me under his wing and showed me the radio ropes.  He taught me how to produce a show, how to work under pressure, and most importantly, that nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it.  "Sweetheart" he'd say, "to get what you never had you've got to think like you've never thought and do what you've never done." He gave criticism without belittlement.  A warm word, a corny joke, a random lunch date, were all possible every time you passed his office.  He could be listening to Biggie or Coltrane, depending on the day.  A simple lunch at Reading Terminal Market could turn into a meet and greet with the Mayor, a councilwoman, a longtime fan, a church leader, or perhaps just a former intern.  The beauty of E was that they were all received with the same importance.

E touched everyone he met.  He was a gentleman, a shining star.  He lived life to the very fullest and brought whomever was willing to come along for the ride.  No matter where life took me, or how long it had been since we spoke, I could always count on E for a warm "Miss you!!"  Love you lots!".  That was just E.

While the sadness remains, I can't help but feel blessed --- blessed to have known him.  I'm struggling...it is so very hard to put into words just how special he was.  A plethora of information.  An open book.  A welcome wagon.  A cheerleader.  E was...amazing.

My prayers go out to each and every person who had the privilege of knowing him -- for I know we all have similar stories and thus similar pain, sadness, and shock.  I can only hope that every one of us takes a little  E with us as we continue on our journey.  Paying forward the love, respect, and guidance he gave to us is the greatest homage we can give him.  E. Steven Collins - the man, the myth, the legend!

Rest in peace, E.  Miss you and love you lots.

No comments:

Post a Comment