Monday, April 18, 2011

(home)Sick

It came.  It is definitely here.  That feeling that I assumed was never going to arrive, has arrived.  Today it hit me like a ton of bricks.  As I pumped $20 into my baby gas tank wondering how high the needle would actually go on the gas gauge, I realized I was short of breath.  As I turned on my ignition, and saw it raise to just a hair over half a tank, I tried to breathe a sigh of relief.  Once again, I couldn't take a deep breath.  Then, as I headed for Walgreens I adjusted my seat so that my posture could improve...for some reason I felt a world of weight on my shoulders.  Then, just before I pulled into the parking lot, a lump formed in my throat.  While the tears rolled down my cheeks, I realized...I'm homesick.

So, I let myself cry.  I wiped my tears and proceeded to treat myself to a French Vanilla Cappuccino (now, as I take my last sip, I realize I should have gotten a bigger one).  What's going on?!  I've been here for damn near 5 months.  Homesick?! Now?!  Yep, and I'm guessing here's why...I'm more than halfway through my timetabled 'journey'.  My grammar is horrendous, my Spanish is nowhere where I want it to be,  my Mama and I have our routines set as she has officially gotten use to me being around, my 'teaching job' still hasn't given me a start date, and so all roads point to this just being the beginning...the elementary school if you will...of this adventure.  I don't know that I'm ready for that.  Puerto Rico...indefinitely?!  I miss my New York family, I miss restaurant options, I miss linking up with old friends at the drop of a dime!  So, while I am going to visit in June, on days like today, it feels like a lifetime away.

Also, the questions are starting to come like "So, are you staying? Are you still going to be out there in August?  What are you doing out there?"  I feel like I should have answers, and I just don't.  Most days I'm okay with that because I know that I am being worked on in so many small ways...small ways that I see are shaping up to be big ways.  But, when a 30th birthday is looming on the other side of the year, your bank account is beginning to look like your weekly lunch allowance money, you can't schedule a decent conversation in with your boyfriend, your nephew and niece stop writing, and you don't have a place to call your own (after years of independence)...well, it will at some point, take a toll on you.  So, today is my day.  Today I cry, today I allow myself to be sad and miss the New York life I once knew.  Tomorrow, I keep adding pieces to my puzzle, knowing that by June I'll at least have a few more answers than I do right now.


4 comments:

  1. Awwwwww Misha... so sad to hear that you're sad, but it's completely understandable. :( I can't imagine being away from my parents and close friends for as long as you've been. Goes to show you how strong and resilient you've been. It's ok to cry too...I found this quote and it's so true:

    "Tears are God’s gift to us. Our holy water. They heal us as they flow." Rita Schiano

    I hope to see you out here when you're back in NY. When are you coming? It's funny because I'm going to be in PR from 6/9-6/15 with my dad and aunt. My cousin on my dad's side is getting married. Let me know & keep your head up, Mish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Desi LOVE the quote!! I will be in NY from 6/26 - 7/11. What part of the island are you coming to???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mish!! Just getting back to you now...wow! Time sure does fly! I'm going to be in San Juan and Luquillo, so I won't be near you, but after my cousin's wedding on 6/11, I'm a free bird. IF I don't get to see you in PR, hopefully your momma will have one of her famous BBQs so I can see your smiling face in NY! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have a wedding I'm attending on the 11th but its on this side of town. WIll you have a rental car? Maybe we can meet halfway in Ponce or something!

    ReplyDelete