Monday, March 28, 2011

Megatron

Today, as I sat in a hot Puerto Rican house, making small talk with family members while watching "Maid in Manhattan", my Blackberry chimed.  The chime was a familiar one.  I have a new e-mail, I thought.  So, while everyone else was mesmerized by J-Lo's breathy line delivery, I checked my phone.

It was a forward and all that was written to me was "Crazy!".  I scrolled down only to see a link to a news article...and there it was: "DJ Megatron Shot and Killed In NY"

For a short time, quite a few years ago in Philadelphia, Megatron and I worked together at Radio One.  I hadn't spoken to Mega in years, but that made no difference when the news came that this young man, this father of three, was shot dead this morning in Staten Island.  Murdered and taken just like that.

All I can flash back to is Mega...always accommodating- always chill - always New York - always charismatic - always working - always offering advice - always humble...Mega.  I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that he's actually gone, so I can't even imagine what his family and close friends are going through.

As we journey through this life many of us strive to make a mark here, to feel like we accomplished something, like we mattered.  Corey McGriff mattered...and it had nothing to do with his resumé.  Whether you knew him for 5 minutes or 15 years, he made a lasting impression on you.   May you rest in peace Mega, your family is in my prayers...

To my radio family... I truly miss you all.  "The radio life" is like this club that we all belong to...like when we see each other its a mini reunion and a floodgate of memories just come back...all the ups and the downs...damn, its so hard to put into words.  That was a time in my life that I will never forget and so I'm thanking each and every one of you...from Bent to Colby, E. to Brother E., Rashida to Nia, Kit Kat to Sarah, Helen to Raph, Renny to Nelly, Drewdy to Will, Moshay to Michael Shawn, Laiya to Pooch to Monie...the list goes on and on....you each made a lasting memory, each played a part (whether big or small ) that helped to develop me into who I am today.  Unfortunately, sometimes it takes horrific events like this one to force us to stop and reflect.  Enjoy every moment, every breathe and every encounter...

Corey McGriff aka Megatron

No comments:

Post a Comment