Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Packing...

Stuff...
Its official.  I now believe that packing is one of the loneliest things a person can do.  Think about it.  Just you and your stuff.  I've been sitting here for days...forced to choose between piles labeled "shred", "donate", "keep in New York" and "take to Puerto Rico".  Sounds simple enough right?  It would be if I didn't have a file cabinet full of paperwork that dated back to 2001...and a memory box full of things like chopsticks from my first date in high school, copious amounts of letters from junior high school, and oh, did I mention the movie stubs?!  Yeah movie stubs from, it seems, every damn movie I've ever seen from elementary school on!!  One would think I'd just take the whole damn box and chuck it right?  Well, its not that easy.  A person who collects movie stubs and writes who she went with on them on the back cannot be the same person who just chucks a box of memories!!  These things are evidence of my past...a piece of who I am...right?  How can I throw out a card that my mom gave me five Christmas' ago?  What am I supposed to do with all this info I printed on New York City theaters...what if I'll need them one day?!
...and more stuff...

Mish is rummaging
I know this is not necessarily about the "stuff".  Its about letting go of what has kept me comfortable for so long.  My file cabinet has always been my file cabinet.  Filled with a load of paperwork for the moment when I'll actually need every student loan bill I've ever received or that one ATM receipt from three years ago that will prove I didn't take $20 out twice in one day!  See, having to go through all this stuff and essentially deciding to be rid of it makes it ever more clear that I am at the point of no return.  In a month I will be couch surfing whenever I'm in New York.  One month!  4 weeks! 30 freaking days...excuse me as I go freak out and then attempt to continue my lonely purge...

No comments:

Post a Comment